Beautiful hand made power amplifier from Serbian company Karan Acoustics. It delivers 420 Watts per channel in a dual mono configuration and is extremely stable.
This amplifier was supplied by Karan themselves and originates from the first owner. It comes with the original crate. Newprice: 12.900 euro (pricelist is available), now for 3.750 euro.
Karan Acoustics features include:
- Hand made, selected, high quality components
- Cutting edge, solid-state technology, utilizing rapid, bipolar, state-of-the-art Sanken RET (Ring Emitter Transistors)
- No overall feedback
- Direct DC coupled in pure Class A. All stages are pure dual mono designs, fully differential (balanced).
- Voiced to provide the highest degree of musicality and the utmost reproduction quality while maintaining neutral tonal balance, dynamic ability, resolving power, and transparency of the natural sound in music.
- Specially designed feet offering zero feedback
- 8 ultra fast Sanken RET output power devices per channel, with a total current capability of 160 Amperes;
- 8 stages of voltage regulation;
- Current feedback topology, with no overall feedback and with only 0.03% Intermediation distortion (IMD) at rated power output into 8 Ohms;
- Each channel uses a 1.000 VA low noise toroidal transformer and 132.000 µF of total capacitance;
- Frequency response DC-300kHz +0, -3 dB;
- S/N ratio better than -112 dB at rated output into 8 Ohms;
- Damping factor better than 6,000:1 into 8 Ohms, 20Hz…20kHz;
- Pink noise power output of 420W/660W/1.200W into 8/4/2 Ohms;
- Input sensitivity: 2V
- Dimensions 500x240x480 mm (19.7″x8.7″x26″) WxHxD
- Dimensions in box 640x360x570 mm WxHxD
- Net weight 52 kg
Review April 2019 in Enjoy the Music.com by Professor Michael R. Bump:
I was genuinely impressed with the power and drive of the Karen Acoustics KA S 400 amplifier. Strong solid-state grip – fast and well-controlled sound. The fact that the KA L Mk3 preamplifier remained steadfastly neutral seemed to allow the uncolored joy of the KA S 400 to do its thing – Tighter low frequencies, well-pronounced transients across the frequency spectrum, a general sense of timbral truth, and an impressively wide and deep stage.
Having enjoyed the company of these new found audio acquaintances, am I ready to write my “Dear John” letter to my current VAC Signature MKII SE pre/Merrill Veritas monos? Not quite. Though the Karan Acoustics combo lit up the room and beyond with so many wonderful sonic attributes, my heart belongs to the wonderful synergy I’ve discovered with Class D digital amplification, coupled with that glorious midrange harnessed within my VAC tube preamp. Could the Karan Acoustics find a home in an imagined second home system? You bet! Alas, if only a musician’s/professor’s salary could make dreams come true….
I sense the end-game for most of us is a more revealing experience of the recorded moment, not just the recorded venue. For me, the Karan Acoustics KA S 400 and KA L Mk3 offered a real-time corporeal awareness into the musical experience. I found myself feeling the moment, as it were. In most every reference, it was easy to lose myself in the totality of music. More significantly, the spiritual connectivity of the recorded moment was visceral, alive, and clear. For those searching for their own musical connections, I can recommend without reservation auditioning the Karan Acoustics KA S 400 and KA L Mk3 as an excellent pathway.”